The Clare County Council Motor Taxation Office deals with Motor Taxation and Driver Licensing for County Clare.
The Motor Tax Office has relocated to Clare County Council headquarters
- Opening hours - Monday to Friday: 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Open through lunch)
- Please note ticketing system now in operation.
- Tickets are required for both Motor Tax and licensing services - Separate queues are in operation.
- To ensure service you must have a valid ticket.
- Tickets are available at dispenser at entrance to Motor Tax Office.
- Please have your form fully completed and provide all relevant documentation and appropriate fee.
- Please note the Motor Tax Office closes at 3:30 p.m.
Beat the queues - Renew your motor tax online
The Motor Tax Office is currently experiencing an increase in the number of customers and phone calls, leading to much longer queues and waiting times.
- Did you know that you can conveniently renew your tax online at www.motortax.ie, Telephone: 1890 411 412
- All you require is a Credit / Debit/ Laser Card and have received your tax form in the post with your unique PIN.
- Online service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Internet facilities are available at your local library and the council offices at Scarriff, Kilrush and Westbury.
- Commercial vehicles can now also have their tax renewed online if you have received your unique PIN on your renewal form.
Beat the queues - Post your application
- Post your completed application together with fee and relevant documentation to:
Motor Tax Office,
Clare County Council,
Beat the queues - Pick your time
- You can tax your vehicle in advance of its due date.
- Queue sizes and queuing times are greatly reduced in the middle of the month.
- Motor tax services at Ennistymon Area Office
- Online motor tax service at offices
- Contact details
The following services are available:
- Taxation of vehicles
- Driver Licensing
- Issue of Certificates of Road Worthiness under the relevant regulations for these vehicles
- Certification of Traffic Offences (Gardaí)
- Certification of Traffic Offences (Parking)
- Issue of Trade Plates
- Processing change of ownership procedures for vehicles registered before 1st January 1993
- Supply of licensing particulars - Clare County Council supplies, free of charge, full particulars of any licensed vehicle to any other licensing authority, the Garda Síochana, the Revenue Commissioners and Department of State or any local authority exercising functions pursuant to the Local Authorities (Traffic Wardens) Act, 1975. It will also supply to any person who has a reasonable cause for requiring such information, such particulars of any vehicle licensed with the authority, at a fee as set down from time to time. Information regarding drivers licence records can also be supplied on a similar basis, also at a fee as set down from time to time
Postal, telephone and counter services are provided.
Credit card and laser card facilities are also available.
A full motor tax facility is available at the Ennistymon Area Office from 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Telephone: (065) 7071017.
You can pay your motor tax online at the following offices:
- The Southeast Clare Area Office,
Telephone: (061) 356160 and
- Kilrush One Stop Shop,
Area Offices Kilrush,
Telephone: (065) 9051039.
All driving licence applications should be submitted to the Motor Tax Office at Clare County Council, Áras Contae an Chláir, New Road, Ennis.
The motor taxation function is carried out by Clare County Council on an agency basis for the Minister for the Environment Heritage and Local Government who funds a substantial part of the running costs.
Clare Motor Tax Office has been awarded the Q-Mark Award in recognition of the standard of service it has achieved in recent years.
Clare County Council,
Áras Contae an Chláir,
Telephone: (065) 6844661
Fax: (065) 6828233
- Monday to Friday: 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Open through lunch)
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays: Closed
Page last updated: 12/12/11